Safeguards for Your Accounts
At South Atlantic Bank, we take the security of your accounts very seriously. We use 24-7 monitoring systems and the latest technology to keep your accounts safe.
You can help us deter fraud by keeping your personal financial information secure. Be vigilant with computers, cell phones, and other devices, monitor your accounts online, and check your monthly statements for unauthorized charges or debits.
South Atlantic Bank will never call you to ask for sensitive data such as account numbers, social security numbers, or balances. If you receive a phone call or email request for this information, do not divulge it. Contact your local police and the bank to report it.
Learn about the FREE safeguards in place at South Atlantic Bank. See below:
Let smsGuardian® add a new level of fraud protection to your debit card. This “short message service” program will send a text to the device of your choice when transactions meet certain requirements. (Please note that message and data rates may apply.) The number of messages you receive is based on your card usage and you will receive only one message per transaction on your card.
Here’s how the system works. When you are enrolled, you will receive a text message each time your debit card is used for:
- International and out-of-state transactions
- Fuel purchases
- Purchases of more than $100
- 3 or more transactions in 24 hours
- Online or phone transactions
- Declined authorizations
You can review the text upon receipt and have up to 12 hours to respond. Of course, in the event that fraud has taken place, it is better if you respond as soon as possible. If you used the card for the transaction in question, there is nothing you need to do. If you did not make the transaction, simply reply to the text message as directed which notifies risk management at smsGuardian®. A fraud case is opened, and you will receive a text advising that your card has been blocked from further use. (Please contact South Atlantic Bank to obtain a new card.)
The “Do-Not-Disturb” feature allows you to receive texts when it is most convenient for you. For example, if you do not wish to receive messages from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m., you can set “Do-Not-Disturb” to deliver messages after 6 a.m. Click on the “Preferences” tab to set this function.
Help, if you ever need it with this service, is easy to find. All you need to do is reply to a text from smsGuardian® with the word HELP. You may also visit our “Service Usage Guide” link, or call (888) 868-8611.
This new service is available free to our customers and includes as many cards and devices you need to enroll.
Need to enroll in smsGuardian? You will be redirected to the smsGuardian website. Please review the terms and conditions provided and then enroll your debit card(s).
To cancel or opt out of the service at any time, text the word STOP in reply to an alert or directly to 27576. Visit the smsGuardian® website to unsubscribe (click on the “Devices” tab to delete a device). Your card is not considered unenrolled until ALL devices have been deleted.
South Atlantic Bank has the FICO Falcon Fraud Manager in place to provide greater protection for your debit card. It’s free monitoring of your debit card activity to protect you from unauthorized use of your card.
How it Works.
FICO Falcon uses a sophisticated scoring system based on card usage habits to measure fraud risk. If fraud is detected, a detailed action plan swings into motion.
- Each transaction you make with your South Atlantic Bank MasterCard debit card is instantly scored with a high, medium, or low risk for fraud.
- If fraud is suspected, you will be contacted immediately, using a combination of emails, texts, and phone calls, and responding is easy.
- If a transaction is considered high risk, your card will be immediately blocked for your protection, and then released if you confirm no fraud.
- For medium risk transactions, your card is blocked only if we can’t reach you.
- Low risk transactions are usually associated with travel so be sure to let the bank know before you go out of town. We will add a note to your record to reduce the chance of your card being turned down due to suspected fraud.
How to Help.
Below are some helpful things to do in the event the fraud center contacts you.
- The fraud center number, 1-800-417-4592, will appear on your caller ID if we are trying to reach you.
- Please save this number in your list of contacts so you will recognize it in the event we contact you regarding fraud.
- Update your records with us if you have had any changes since you opened your accounts. It’s important that we have your current phone numbers and email addresses on file. You can update your information through NetTeller Online Banking or at your nearby branch.
Our credit cards come with 24-7 fraud monitoring to keep you safe from unauthorized transactions. If fraud is suspected, call the fraud department at 1.866.661.4232. Customer service is always available at 1.800.944.2726.
South Atlantic Bank’s debit and credit cards are equipped with the latest advance in fraud-fighting technology – the EMV chip.
Located on the upper left of the card’s front side, the EMV chip contains your card number, name, and additional account information, but no other personal data. Each time the card is used, the chip produces a unique code to validate the transaction, making it extremely difficult for the card to be duplicated, deterring a large source of fraud.
When using the card in a chip-enabled reader, you will insert it, chip facing up, rather than “swiping” it. The card stays in the reader and you simply follow the prompts to complete your transaction. When the transaction is finished, you can remove your card.
The EMV chip is just one more way South Atlantic Bank keeps your account safe.
Going on a business trip or vacation? Don’t forget to let us know! Just call your South Atlantic office and give them the dates and location of your trip. We will then put a travel alert on your record. Sometimes debit cards may be blocked for use in countries or states that are experiencing a high incidence of fraud. By contacting us, we can make sure you can use your card when you travel. Additionally, your usual spending pattern may differ while you are traveling, causing our fraud monitoring service to block your card. Because transactions can be identified with your trip, your card won’t be blocked and will continue to be available for your use.